Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike




Sunday, September 14, 2008
The day after Hurricane Ike, I found myself driving towards Houston. It is early in the morning and I saw the sun rise when we left our home, but as I approached Houston, the sky was getting darker and darker and the rain started to hit the Odyssey. My husband, Dan, was sleeping soundly as I joined in the convoys of coach buses being led by State Troopers and pickup trucks with generators in their beds. The only traffic coming out of Houston on I-10 was clusters of ambulances and other state vehicles. I was starting to doubt why I was going to Houston on such a day, but knew that Guy and Thelma Mauldin would be doing the same if I needed help.
As we drove up the driveway, I quickly realized, we would not make it very far as fallen trees and limbs were occupying all of the concrete. I spotted the Mauldin’s and Thelma’s brother using a hand saw to try to remove a downed tree that was the blocking the Mauldin’s vehicle in their driveway. The place looked like a disaster zone and was not in the manicured state I was accustomed to seeing. It was a good thing we had packed our work gloves and that Dan loves to play with a chainsaw.
There were some great moments during the day. More help arrived and just like on the T.V. commercials, the Mauldin’s insurance agent came to the house to take photos. When I mentioned it would be nice to have a gas blower to clean the leaves of the driveway, he jumped in his truck and returned minutes later with a blower and spent the next hour blowing the mess we had created from raking the branches into little piles. It made a huge difference and if you need insurance and service, I would recommend Chris Mims from Farmer’s Insurance. Like I said, it was just like a commercial!
At the end of the day, the front yard looked much better, the driveway was passable and I decided that it was a good thing my parents forced higher education on me as manual labor and I are not a great team. We packed the van and headed home after a hard day’s work. One very special sheltie named “Pajero” came home with us. I’ll let “Pajero” tell his story….






Pajero’s Blog
Sunday, September 14, 2008
I really can’t believe I was into the second day of no air conditioning! Thank goodness dad said that Auntie Allana and Uncle Dan were taking me to Camp Hemenway where there is power. I was sure I was going to start shedding soon if I didn’t get some cool air on me. I was still a little confused as to why we were evacuating after the hurricane instead of prior to a hurricane, but all I kept hearing was that 2.1 million people were without power and that it would be 3-5 weeks before power would be restored. I was very happy to jump into the van as I could feel the cool air coming my way. The trip to Camp Hemenway was fine and when I arrived, I found myself in the backyard with lots of trees to sniff. The only problem I encountered was this hairy sable dog that felt he owned the place. I had a little chat with him and Auntie Allana removed the sable hair mop from the yard. I think she calls him “Ardon”. After a nice supper, I retired to the air conditioning again for a little nap. I really thought I should be in the family room on the couch, but I saw the shaggy sable mop in there, so I decided a crate would be just fine for tonight as I was tired and ready for bed. Thank goodness for water and electricity for air conditioning.

5 comments:

  1. Poor Pajero. I'm sure Ardon knows his place now after your little talk. Maybe Auntie Allana will let you have the sofa tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Allana,
    Please let Pajero know that his kids and grandkids in Hawaii send him the best. Please let Guy and Thelma know they are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Jackie Thuener
    Lynroc Shelties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it onto the couch so one goal was met! signed Pajero

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pajero - Hello from "son" Ethan and grandaughter "Suzy Q" in Sacramento CA. We have been wondering about how you and the Maldens weathered the hurricane so we were glad to see this blog.

    We are glad there was minimum damage and that you were "taken in" by Allana, Dan and that "hairy sable". No air conditioning - whew.

    Good luck on getting life back to normal for you and for Guy and Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Hawaiian kids and grandkids and California son and grandaughter. Guy has been following my blog. I think it is because he misses me so much, but I wanted you to know that he is reading your posts and appreciates your thoughts and prayers. Signed, Pajero

    ReplyDelete